- Technical Assistance and Training (TA&T)
- Donors and Providers (DAP) Group
- Pacific AML/CFT Capacity Development Programme
- Annual Forum on Technical Assistance and Training
- Technical Assistance and Training News
- Enquiries for Technical Assistance and Training
PACIFIC AML/CFT CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME (PACD)
In 2017, New Zealand provided the APG secretariat with NZD 3.6 million funding over five years from the New Zealand Aid Programme, managed under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT). The funding was provided to engage staff and deliver targeted programmes to address illicit financial flows and improve implementation of AML/CFT standards across the Pacific region.
The agreement to fund a comprehensive Pacific programme is an acknowledgement not only of the importance of Pacific island jurisdictions in contributing to effective AML/CFT implementation and security regionally and globally; but it also demonstrates New Zealand's commitment to the APG.
Upon receipt of the funding, and with the approval of the APG Co-Chairs and membership in July 2017, the APG secretariat established:
- a special staff cell of three persons within the APG secretariat dedicated solely to Pacific TA (the Pacific Technical Assistance team); and
- the Pacific AML/CFT Capacity Development Programme (PACD).
PACD is a five-year programme from 2017-2022 to assist APG Pacific members (with limited assistance to Pacific observers) to ahieve the following outcomes:
more compliant laws relating to AML/CFT;
effective regulation and supervision frameworks for financial and non-financial institutions;
greater law enforcement and prosecutorial capacity to respond to financial crime and to recover the proceeds of crime.
To ensure effective coordination, the Pacific Technical Assistance team:
- actively supports regional organisations (such as the Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat, Pacific Islands Chiefs of Police, Oceania Customs Organisation, Asian Development Bank, and many more);
- undertakes regular information exchanges with donors and providers active in the Pacific;
- disseminates quarterly updates on activities; and
- maintains an up-to-date TA implementation plan for each APG Pacific member.